Saturday, May 28, 2011

WK 8: Seize the Day, Hold It Close & Let Go

Cap Matoopa, Mahe, Seychelles
Without getting too philosophical- life is short; time is precious; and happiness is simply a state of mind. Week 7 shook me up a bit and had me all out of sorts, but I'm on the upside of down and life could not be any better for it. I returned to the water over the weekend, celebrating the moment by attempting the Marathon Snorkel. Officially back in the water, I was diving and surveying with gusto during Week 8.
*****

The ocean held nothing back as it welcomed myself and other expedition members into its waters over the weekend. After a week on land, I'd have expected nothing less, but even so attempting the Marathon Snorkel under such circumstances intensified the experience. It was the roughest weather I've seen in the Seychelles yet. Expedition members donned their fins and fearlessly dove into the fury, seconds later swallowed by the swell. I gathered my wits and followed suit and was tossed into Conception Channel for the first leg of the journey.

Base Camp at Sunset, Cap Matoopa
The 3 mile snorkel was an entirely different experience from the first swim. Firstly, I don't know whether or not to classify the endeavor as a marathon snorkel or surf event. The swell was incredible, like liquid mountains. On top of that, the water was incredibly turbid due to a high plankton concentration so there wasn't much to see. And lastly, everyone swam the route in reverse, from Back Beach to the Bay. This last twist to the day ensured that the current was with us as we navigated through Conception Channel. All factors cultivated into an epic endeavor which served as a charity snorkel for the children of President's Village.
Rounding off the weekend, I trekked up Cap Matoopa for a solo night beneath the stars. I meandered up the overgrown path just before sunset and set up "camp" as the sky set fire. I watched from my perch as the sky metamorphosized, shifting hues and while stars poked holes through the atmosphere. I counted my blessings as thoughts of friends and family kept me company. The distant sound of the ocean lulled me to sleep as consciousness drifted out with the tide.

The fruits of my terrestrial endeavors
My first dive day was postponed until Tuesday, but it was well worth the wait- I completed my first double tanker! The double tanker surveys are conducted just like any other survey dive, except that each diver hauls 2 tanks on board for back-to-back dives. This method of diving is much more efficient, because it allows the completion of a survey site in one boat outing. More dive for your boat- it's the best way to dive!

On Thursday, I was expected to complete two survey dives. Scheduled for a Coral Diversity Belt at Site X and a LIT/INV Survey in Baie Ternay, I looked forward to a day in the water. Site X started off well enough, though the surge was quite intense as my buddy Simon laid the measuring tape down against rocks and crevices. All seemed to be in order.

Giving the "OK" signal at 50 meters, we began our coral diversity count. Grasping for any bare rock to combat the surge, we managed to complete the 50 meter belt with time to spare. But, as we reeled in the tape over the last clifface, Simon's weight belt fell off. As he attempted to hand me the tape, the surge smashed him into an urchin that had nested itself on the rock. His right arm took the full force of the blow. I swam down to retrieve the tape as Simon managed to rebuckle his weights and clear away from the rocks. As I juggled with the SMB and tape measure, another swell swept me into the same urchin nest. Thankfully, I was wearing a 3/4mm wetsuit, but the spines still managed to penetrate the protective layer. At first my thigh felt like it was on fire. The intensity of the pain dulled within moments, but with every fin kick it felt like someone was punching my thigh. Simon and I could only grit our teeth and shake our heads as we bared our trophies to the rest of the expedition.
Liz looks after the 3 urchined amigos

Since I was urchined, I gave my second dive to another Invert diver and returned to base for treatment. Staff set up a bin of hot water in the kitchen for the injured while we squeezed lime on top to help dissolve the spines. In the end, urchins got the best of a total of three divers at Site X- but we won the day since Site X was succesfully surveyed.

This past week will be one that stands out in my mind for sure. The water gave me its all and I swam straight into the swell. It was another 7 days of learning, growing, and "building character". There were epic highs and a few surprising twists and turns that have kept me on my toes. Friends and family were held close to my heart as I fought my aquatic demons and wrestled with struggles on land. I've persevered and look forward to the last few weeks on base before moving to Beau Vallon for Divemaster training.

*****

Thank you, Mom, Dad, and Phil for the mail! It means the world to me to have received word from you. I love you with all my heart!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like you had a extreme week with the ocean. I was concerned a bit that you would know to the urchins because I heard urchins have poison. At least you are doing well for yourself and you manage to complete your surveys successfully. Also looking at the pictures you had made me wish I was there. I like tropical places. ^_^ Well enjoy yourself and yes life should be enjoy to its fullest.

    ReplyDelete