Saturday, August 27, 2011

WK 21: The BIG 100

My eyes fixate on an underwater rock. At first glance it's mundane, displaying the usual algal growth common to the countless other boulders. Even so, I stall and invert myself for a closer look. The rock blinks, its gaze meets mine.

The rock moves. Fins arch displaying a vibrant color scheme of yellow and auburn before nestling back into the substrate. I crane my neck around, signalling towards the rock. Some divers acknowledge my find with a smile in their eyes and the "OK" signal while others shrug staring at me and the rock quizzically. With my makeshift tank-banger (a dull and rusted garden stake), I point delicately to the top of the rock where a scorpionfish sits, perfectly camouflaged.

All divers are signalling "OK" and the group's energy skyrockets. My eyes smile back as I resume my search for underwater treasures, letting them relish the moment. It's my 100th dive with Blue Sea Divers and I make it count for all it's worth.

*****

This past week was yet another 7 days that passed by all too quickly. There was no downtime to pause and reflect. Every moment in the water, I was leading and learning, fully engaged in tailoring each dive to the needs and desires of my divers. Onshore, I was hard at work in the dive shop and beach kiosk tidying up, maintaining equipment, and counting down the moments until the next dive. It was a full week from every perspective.

On Monday, I plunged beneath the water for my 100th Blue Sea Divers dive. While the day and the dive proved to be an incredible experience, it didn't start off all too well. Firstly, I was delegated responsible for the "routine" dive boat which would take clients out for 2 morning dives around the usual Beau Vallon sites. While the responsibility was an honor, knowing that two of my fellow divemasters were fun diving at Aldabaren had me a bit sore. I'd been delegated to shop duty on the previous Aldabaren dive and had hoped to dive the wreck one last time. Even so, I was able to shrug off the bad vibes and chose one of my top sites, L'ilot, as the day's first dive (and my 100th!).

Having mended the morning's dive site upheaval, I joined my divers on the boat and gave them a briefing on L'ilot. Moments later, the skipper received a call from the dive shop prohibiting the boat from making the trek out to L'ilot. The news was like an urchin to the face, but I kept my cool and decided upon Coral Garden, a site where I've spotted a nurse shark, turtles, and lobsters. I knew I could deliver a quality dive there. Unfortunately, that notion was shot down since the site was obscured by bad visibility and the GPS was on the Aldabaren boat. Now, completely embarrassed and apologetic, the skipper and I begrudgingly decided upon Aquarium as the first dive site.

Despite the morning's madness, my 100th could easily contend with any 40m wreck in regards to quality. It seemed like every moment I was pointing to another find, from a timid mantis shrimp and delicate nudibranchs to colorful clownfish and camouflaged scorpionfish, we saw it all. I couldn't have asked for a better 100th dive.

Every now and again, life throws you an urchin. Impact is inevitable. The impending pain is a process: pull out what you can and take in what you can not. Don't back down- learn, grow, and thrive where others would crumble. This is how one builds character. This is how you catch an urchin without it catching you.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete