Saturday, August 20, 2011

WK 20: It’s Getting Hot in Here

Beach Kiosk
A bead of sweat trickles down my forehead as I bake in the Blue Sea Diver's beach kiosk. The heat of the day bears down upon the shack maintaining the suffocating temperature. The ocean waves to me from a distance, tempting me with its pristine waters. From within the oven, I smear perspiration from my brow with my forearm. There’s no relief from the heat. It takes all my might to focus my mind on the promise of tomorrow's dives-anything but the rising temperature.

*****

Remnants from the battle
This past week I officially completed my divemaster certification and have been creeping up on my 100th dive with Blue Sea Divers. Looking back, the days are non distinct but the experience as a whole has been a good one. Over the past few days, I've led a number of successful dives with a few curve ball clients and situations that have only made me a better diver and divemaster. Out of the water I've been servicing equipment and maintaining the shop (and wishing I were diving of course).

Fruit bats continued to blast the staff house with their leftovers. Mango pits and branches have decorated our lawn becoming permanent ornaments. I had thought our house could not have any more character than before the fruit onslaught- I was wrong. It's been fun living at the Blue Sea Divers' staff house, but I do look forward to a good night's rest and some peace and quiet.

Next week, I’ll have my 100th dive with Blue Sea Divers and say goodbye to one of my fellow divemaster interns. The end is fast approaching, but before I go- I’m going to fill every moment with memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment