Saturday, August 6, 2011

WK 18: All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Calling a truce with the urchins
The base at Cap Ternay is alive with activity for the 5 week BBQ. I feel at home yet out of place- everything is just as I remembered but different. The base is abuzz as current expedition members and staff prepare for dinner festivities. I look around and see the usual activity, but there are new faces smiling and different stories being spun now. Feeling simultaneously welcomed and alienated here at Cap Ternay, I’m content to spend a few hours catching up with the staff and making new friends before the night’s end.

*****

Keeping things short and to the point for Week 18: I completed my Divemaster Water Skills and visited base for their 5 week BBQ.

Hawksbill turtle says hello
The water tests overshadowed everything else that happened over the last few days because I was secretly dreading my last two skills, the 800M snorkel and tow. After a dreadful performance for the 400M timed swim, I feared I would not be able to earn high enough marks to pass certification.


I had written myself off completely and had no expectations for the 800M snorkel. My aim was to keep sights on the other divemasters’ wakes for as long as possible. As expected I took my place behind everyone else, kicking for dear life and just barely making out a trail of bubbles to follow. But time passed and the trail of bubbles kept me on course. Before I knew it, Simon and Susanne passed me on their way back to shore and Marcus was rounding the 400M buoy just a few meters ahead of me.

I could spend all day watching Anemone fish
I was in shock as I surged past Marcus. I picked up my pace. Adrenaline pumped while blisters and lungs burned. I did it. I swam the 800M in 15-16 minutes, earning a jaw-dropping 4 out of 5 points. That’s all I needed to top up and over the required 15 points for water skills. I surprised myself.

On Wednesday, Adam, Simon, Susanne, and myself visited base for the 5 Week BBQ. It was an odd feeling to be back at Cap Ternay. I felt both welcomed and estranged as I was greeted with hugs from staff and introduced myself to new expedition members. I hovered about the grounds, wandering around and taking in all the old sights. It was good to visit, but it didn’t feel like home.

With just 4 weeks left here in the Seychelles, I aim to hit my 100th Blue Sea Divers’ dive. Even if I don’t reach 100 with the shop, it’s not really about the numbers- it’s about living life to the fullest, doing the best I can with the time and tools I have. And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment